Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Now vs Then

I always hear people say, "If I knew what I know now back then...."

The wisdom I have now would surely have been beneficial to me 5 years ago. And I would have loved to of known it then!

However, there was something about me then that I sometimes gets lost in translation.

I know so much more about program design, muscle physiology, and nutrition than I knew "back in the day".

Back then I didn't know shit compared to now, but I trained like a mad-man. My leg day had way too much volume--my lower back used to kill from the amount of squats, deadlifts, leg presses and RDL's that I did.

But it didn't matter.

I trained like there was no tomorrow and didn't pass on a single concern to the actual program design aspect of it. I just wanted to train, and train hard.

And I blew up.

In spite of everything I did "wrong", the intensity of my workouts seemed to trump everything else.

I had better than average form, and my sets were tainted by the wailing guitars of Pantera, Rob Zombie, and Disturbed. I used to workout in sweats year round because I would love to sweat and push myself to the limit.

I've puked, nearly passed out, and have been a pile of dead mass on the floor more times than I can remember.

So today, I stand ashamed and take lessons from a 17 year-old version of myself who made every workout a self-revealing opportunity.

--
Ryan
e: info@patrickperformancetraining.com

No comments: